Nasi Goreng simply means "Fried Rice" and this is our take on it.
For the Paste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 servings of brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons of Fury Chilli Sauce
- 500g of chicken breast
- 4 free-range eggs
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet. Warm your plates in the oven as the rice will be sitting on them for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Finely chop the garlic and blend it with the curry powder, tomato paste, and coconut oil to create a curry paste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a hot frying pan or wok and then add the chicken, peppers, spring onions, and Fury. Stir fry until the chicken has browned slightly and then add half the curry paste.
- When the chicken is cooked through add the rice and the remaining curry paste and stir fry until the rice is piping hot. Portion the meal onto the warm plates.
- Using the same pan simply fry your eggs in the remaining coconut oil and place one on top of each dish. Season with Oriel Sea Salt and cracked black pepper.
Simply leave out the egg and meat for a vegan meal. Use pork or prawn if you prefer either to chicken. Sesame oil or peanut oil will give a very different flavour than coconut oil. You can use quinoa instead of rice for a change. Fury is the best sauce to use, but if you don’t have any you can use fresh chillies or another decent quality chilli sauce (but not sweet chilli).
Superior quality coconut oil will help the flavour of this dish, and free-range eggs make for a tastier meal and happier hens. The curry powder should be fresh and you can choose mild, medium, or hot to suit your taste.
On a Budget?
Use less chicken but chop it into smaller pieces to make it go further. Rice is very cheap so bulk out the meal with extra rice for hungry mouths. You can use sunflower oil instead of coconut, but you will lose a lot of flavours so try adding extra Fury, and a little more garlic to balance it out.